Quick Answer: What Do I Do If I Put Too Much Bleach In My Well?

Can I pour hydrogen peroxide in my well?

From time to time, it may be desirable to use hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate the entire well because some of the odor-causing bacteria also produce sulfuric acid, which will corrode the pump in the long run.

Some of the iron bacteria can also produce a musty, fishy or oily smell in the water..

How long does it take to smell chlorine after shocking well?

It can take 30 minutes to 24 hours or more to flush all of the chlorine from the well. ►Once the chlorine is gone from the well, open up each fixture one at a time until the chlorine smell is no longer present. This will purge the remaining chlorine from the water system.

How much bleach does it take to shock a well?

Mix 2 quarts bleach in 10 gallons of water; pour into well. Connect a garden hose to a nearby faucet and wash down the inside of the well. Open each faucet and let the water run until a strong chlorine odor is detected, then turn it off and go to the next one.

How can I naturally purify my well water?

The following are the common methods of water purification.Boiling. This is a reliable way to purify water. … Use of Iodine solution, tablets or crystals. This is an effective and more convenient method. … Use chlorine drops. Chlorine has the ability to kill bacteria in water. … Use water filter. … Use Ultraviolet Light.

How do you flush bleach out of a well?

Flush the chlorinated water out of the system. Ⅰ Choose any outdoor spigot and let the water run onto the ground, away from your septic system (also keep water flow from going into creeks, streams, or where fish or vegetation can be harmed), until you no longer smell bleach. This empties the bleach from the well.

How often should you chlorinate your well?

Have a professional check your well water every three to five years to ensure it’s free of dangerous microbes. If their tests do reveal the presence of microbes, order a complete well chlorination. Chlorine treatment will remove all toxic bacteria and algae, with only minimal disruption to your water supply.

How long after shocking a well can you drink the water?

Wait one to two weeks after shock chlorinating the water supply system to retest for total coliform and E. coli bacteria. Follow sample collection instructions carefully. If the test results show the absence of coliform bacteria, the water is safe to drink.

How many years does a water well last?

30-50 yearsThe average lifespan of a well is 30-50 years, although they can last longer or shorter depending on different circumstances. If the well you are buying is over 20 years old, you should at least factor in replacing the parts that commonly fail into your home buying budget.

What happens if you put too much bleach in well?

A small amount of chlorine won’t hurt a septic system, but a large amount (e.g. a gallon put in all at once) can kill the bacteria that you *do* want in that system.

Can I put Clorox in my well?

You can disinfect your well with household chlorine bleach such as Clorox, Purex or a generic brand. The chlorine in the bleach kills bacteria. Note that it may take more than one chlorination for your well to return a satisfactory test.

Should you pour bleach in your well?

4) Work out how much bleach will be needed: For every 50 gallons of water in the well use one quart of laundry bleach – (4 quarts in a gallon). Do not use excessive amounts of bleach – more is not more effective. 5) For best results the bleach should be combined with water before adding it to the well.

Is it safe to drink water that smells like chlorine?

The smell of bleach in your tap water is likely caused by high levels of chlorine. Small traces of chlorine in your water is not harmful. … The EPA requires chlorine in public water systems but recommends levels below 4mg/L. Chlorine can be smelled at levels of 1mg/L.

Why does my well water turn brown when I add bleach?

The brown is the iron in the water that has oxidized as a result of the chlorination. Normally, the iron in water is in ion form and does not display itself until it combines with oxygen and forms common rust which turns the water reddish-brown.

How long does it take to flush bleach from a well?

30 minutes to 24 hoursRun the water to flush the bleach solution out of the well. Monitor the process, it can take 30 minutes to 24 hours or more to flush all of the bleach solution from the well.

How long after bleaching Well can I shower?

24 hoursBefore you chlorinate your well, there are a number of precautions and steps to take to ensure safety for your family. Keep in mind that doing laundry and taking a shower cannot be done for at least 24 hours with a chlorinated well. Waiting a few days to do these is a good idea.

How long should you wait to drink water after you chlorinate a well?

Use your reserves of fresh water for all purposes. Step 6 WAIT at least 12 hours before turning faucets back on. Do not drink, cook, bathe, or wash with water from your faucets during this time because it has high amounts of chlorine in it.

Will Shocking well get rid of sulfur smell?

1. Shock your well with chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide to get temporary relief from sulfur odors. Often keeps odors away for 1 – 2 months. 2.

How often should I clean my well?

As you can see, there are plenty of reasons to get your well water tested. While it should be done at least once a year, talk with your water test provider to ensure you don’t need to be having it done more often.